1. Travel
Zeke Quezada

Thanksgiving Is Coming, Should You Take Your Kids to Las Vegas?

By November 17, 2011

Adventuredome You might be considering the idea of spending Thanksgiving in Las Vegas with the kids and really why not? Las Vegas affords you an affordable vacation and what family does not benefit from a little time together around the holidays. Also, keep in mind that you can spend time with the kids instead of in the kitchen at Thanksgiving.

Las Vegas is one of those places where you might feel a little guilty for bringing the kids along , but at some point in your life you realize that if you want a vacation the kids have to be included as well. There are some options for Kids in Las Vegas so pack up and get ready to go. With plenty of attractions, pools and arcades it is possible to have a family vacation in a city that is designed for the hedonistic behaviors of adults. All it takes is a little planning and a sense of what you want from your Las Vegas vacation with kids.

Here are some resources to help you get started:

Las Vegas can be appropriate with children as long as you realize that it's really not a good idea to go cruising the Las Vegas strip with your kid in a stroller. I see people do it all the time and I can't believe that some parents do it. Spend some time at the family attractions and leave the late night walks to the people who are not towing children along and can afford to stumble along down the sidewalk.

Photograph 2011 Zeke Quezada, licensed to About.com, Inc

Comments
November 12, 2007 at 9:02 pm
(1) Bailey says:

I’m a frequent visitor to Las Vegas and I actively DISCOURAGE colleagues and friends from bringing kids to Las Vegas. It’s not a kid friendly environment and most people vacation there to get away from kids. You want to hang out with kids, go to Disney. You want an adult-oriented vacation paradise, go to Vegas.

March 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm
(2) Aubrey says:

While I do agree that you will probably enjoy yourself better without your kids, if you have that option, I also think that there is plenty for kids to do in Las Vegas and it is an experience for them. Imagine being a little kid and seeing all of those lights! Don’t let people look down on you for bringing your kids- they didn’t develop all of the “family-friendly” stuff for a bunch of drunk adults.

August 4, 2009 at 11:38 am
(3) Pepita Ridgeway says:

I get so tired of people discouraging kids from visiting Las Vegas. Of course they are very self-centered. People from nearby states can’t always afford to pay for Disney. And kids live in the daytime and go to bed before the singles and partiers come out. Kids enjoy pools and arcades. They don’t even mix with nighttime or casino tourists. I have a site called Family Friendly Las Vegas for those considering taking kids to Vegas.

September 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(4) Brad says:

LMFAO. This topic is hilarious. One, I do not want to be away from my kid. Two, Vegas is an amazing place to take kid(s) as a family trip. Kids have a blast in Vegas with all of the lights, sounds, activity, etc. You will see the same things in any city you see in Vegas, maybe just not on the same scale. Enjoy what Vegas has to offer for kids and families. This is very easy to do. Hilarious.

September 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm
(5) Amanda says:

No because you can’t drink beer

September 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm
(6) Mark says:

It depends on WHY you are going to Las Vegas…

If you are going to gamble, watch shows that don’t allow kids, drink until you puke, and other activities your kids shouldn’t do, then don’t.

If you plan to go shopping, dining, sightseeing, and other family activities (all of which DO exist), then take them for sure.

September 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(7) govegas says:

Puke and kids don’t go well. Consider that plenty of the attractions in Las Vegas are located in casinos and you can see how some people have reservations, however, any where you might vacation there is a possibility that you will have to shield your child’s eyes from something inappropriate. That does not only happen in Las Vegas, it can happen on the beach in Hawaii or on the slopes in Vail.

November 22, 2010 at 10:45 am
(8) McRibisBack says:

Vegas would have been an awesome place for kids in the ’90s. The water park, the casinos were trying harder to appeal to children, etc. Now kids are just an afterthought. Sure, you can still take them there, but it’s not nearly as cool as it was 15 years ago.

November 27, 2010 at 10:17 am
(9) Marc says:

PLEASE leave the kids at home.. There must be hundreds of other attractions to take children too rather than Las Vegas.

I remember one night at around 1am in New York, New York I was walking through the casino and there is a little girl all of about 4 years old, holding a Teddy bear and crying for her mother.. AWFUL!!!

People bring grandma out with the kids thinking that grandma will be the babysitter.. Problem with that scenario is that grandma wants to hit the slots and doesn’t want to be cooped up in a hotel room with the kids..

So, let’s ask ourselves after taking the kids to see the Fountains at Bellagio, the roller coaster at NYNY.. What are you going to do with them for the next 24 hours?

Not even the Pirate show is entertainment for kids anymore.. GOOD..

The Las Vegas of today has thankfully started to turn the corner of going back to the original destination for adults that is was meant to be.. SIN CITY.. AND thank goodness it has..

I don’t want a Las Vegas where I am trying to go through a revolving door at the Monte Carlo while a child of about 9 seems to have found a new “ride” and is running and running around faster and faster, making the door go round and round so fast no one can enter it..

I implore anyone of thinking of taking their children to Las Vegas.. PLEASE LEAVE THEM AT HOME OR FIND ANOTHER VACATION DESTINATION.

Thank you..

November 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm
(10) Jetpilotrick says:

NO kids in Las Vegas please!!! Have you seen the billboards, advertisements, the way people act in general??? NOT kid friendly. Wife & I have NEVER brought the kids. Everytime we think about it, we see more things that our kids shouldn’t. Nothing worse than seeing criying kids at 11p to instill why kids shouldn’t be there.

December 27, 2010 at 2:36 am
(11) Amy says:

Gee… All of you saying that kids shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near Las Vegas…… I LIVE in Las Vegas with my TWO children. We don’t go to the strip very often (too many tourists), but I would not rule it out if there was a matinee show my kids would enjoy or if we got invited by out of town friends to a hotel pool. Fremont Street is fun for kids. And yes, EVERYTHING is in the casinos (movies, arcades, restaurants, etc…), but my children just see it as part of the furniture, they don’t even look at it. Casinos off the strip also have places for kids to play for a couple of hours if you are on vacation and want to spend some time doing adult things. And the kids generally love it. Common sense is a good thing to have in this instance as it is in almost any other.

May 21, 2011 at 11:53 am
(12) Susan says:

Leave ‘em home! Family travelers trample enough of the world’s great spots :-P

June 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm
(13) Eric says:

Vegas is a perfectly fine plays to bring kids. People have families there that they visit… right?

The strip is perfectly fine also. Just don’t bring your kids to a bar, strip club, or plop them in the highchair at the blackjack table and you will be fine.

Almost ALL of the strip resorts offer some kind of family friendly activity such as dining, entertainment, shopping, sightseeing, etc.

Just use common sense and the whole family will have an amazing time.

As in any larger city, keep them out of the dirty corners of society.

November 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm
(14) Rick says:

I have brought my young kids to Vegas three times, and they have loved each trip. A couple of my coworkers – who don’t have kids – tell me that kids have no place in Vegas and it bothers them that parents would bring their kids to Vegas. They always recite some crazy scene they saw on the strip at one time or another. How am I not going to get defensive? They are implying we are making bad choices as parents.

November 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm
(15) Lisa says:

I was just in Vegas for Thanksgiving and I was appalled by the amount of young children in strollers. Most hotels you stay in you have to go through the casinos to get out, people smoke in there. I say far too many children parked by a slot machine, while their parents played. At night on the strip kids in strollers, watching the TI show, has anyone ever seen that? Everything is sexual there and its an adults playground. Can you take kids there, sure, but why the heck would you? Personally I think that parents who take their kids there are selfish. They want to go and cause their kids to tag along. The strip is so crowded children can get crushed. Not cool, not cool at all. I do think this is irresponsible parenting.

January 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm
(16) Mona says:

Vegas is a perfectly wonderful place for children and families. However, just as in any tourist destination in a larger city, you must use common sense. I always go to Las Vegas both on trips with just my wife and I, as well as family trips with the kids. Las Vegas certainly has an abundance to offer for both typs of trips. If bringing the kids, there are tons of things to enjoy together such as great dining, aquariums, animal exhibits, shopping, arcades, sports entertainment, etc, etc. etc. For the adult trips, you have the boozing and the gambling. Please don’t intermix the two and everyone will find a magical experience for all.

April 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm
(17) Andrea says:

I also do all kinds of trips. I have enjoyed solo trips, trips with just my husband and me, and trips with our two young kids as well. All one has to do is gauge the trip to who you are with. Vegas offers world class fun for any type of trip you might take there whether it is just the adults or a family trip. Vegas is great!

July 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(18) daniel says:

Biggest sin is bringing children around such a place just so there idiots parents can get there gambling fix.?bad bad bad. Shame on you.

July 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(19) daniel says:

July 16, 2013 at 6:53 pm
(20) http://www.websiteworth.info/www/hirenewcar.jimdo.Com says:

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have
any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked
and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to
no back up. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?